Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Church Sign

After I was given the opportunity to Pastor a local Church, I soon realized that my part-time duties were far more than I had expected. These included visitation, preaching, teaching, singing, preparing sermons, business meetings and then there was the sign. You know which sign I am talking about. The sign by the side of the road that is used to tell people when special services are held and when not in use for anything else it is the one with cute sayings on it. Sayings like “God is my Co-pilot” and “If God is your co-pilot then change seats”. I do hate these signs. More often than not I see these signs and their cute little sayings and cringe with pain. I put myself in the seat of a non-believer and wonder how they feel about those people that attend a Church that would have those stupid signs. The other day I saw one saying, “This sign broken come inside for directions”. I heard of another sign that said, “Everyone gives God credit but no one gives God cash.



The very week I was installed as pastor my name went on this sign announcing to the world and to that little community that a new pastor was hired and would be preaching the next Sunday at 11 o’clock worship hour. Many would have been proud to see their name in lights, {our sign had lights and a big arrow too}. My mother and Father would be among those who would have like the sign, but remember I hated those signs. Three weeks went by and the sign stayed the same. I really had hoped that someone would steal this sign and put me out of my misery. I had even thought of doing it myself except for the fact that the people of the church were so proud of that sign. I could not show them that I disapproved but rather had to cover up my feelings to protect the feelings of those good hearted people that not only wanted that sign but felt that the church needed that sign.



The moment finally came when the committee that bought the sign, came to me to ask me what I wanted to put on the sign. Well that did it. Now do I have to do everything including thinking of silly little sayings to put on silly signs? Remember I hate those signs. Just then in that moment of self-pity and frustration I had an epiphany. We had just announced the new pastor in town so now would be the time to shake up the community. Let’s put on the sign “The Church of the Second Chance.” I mean really isn’t that what church is, a place for people to come for a second chance. Doesn’t God give us a second chance when we ask for forgiveness? Isn’t the church a place for the gathering of those whom have been given a second chance? This was to be my sermon for the following week but what happened even I was not expecting. I was really busy at Seminary and had had no contact that week with anyone from the church.


When I arrived the following Sunday, I was greeted with big smiles and assurances that the sign project was a success. The phones of the members had rang off the hook that week because the local buzz was that the new pastor had come in and changed the name of a church in only three weeks. For Eighty years this church had stood as a monument and a home to this community. Someone could have hardly lived in this community and not have been touched by this church. Some had gotten married or baptized here or married someone whose parents had been married or baptized here. Some had attended socials and parties and Bible school here. It would have been hard to live in such a small community and not have been touched someway by its presence in the community. Now after only three weeks the most unbelievable thing had happened and a new preacher had poisoned the minds of the congregation and everyone had to come to see it with their own eyes. Yes I’m happy to say that attendance rose each week that the sign said Church of the Second Chance. It didn’t take but a few weeks however for the dust to settle and everyone had an opportunity to meet me and realize that the church was not changing names but in the process we had people coming back to church that had not come in years. I had to admit that the sign did work. After only a few weeks it was time again to change the sign. The same committee approached me to ask me to do it again. I had to think of something else to put on the sign. They felt that my first suggestion was such a big hit that they wanted me to choose again. I thought for only a few seconds and said put on the sign “Church of the Third Chance.”

No comments: